[CT Birds] Stamford - more Razorbills and Gannet; Redhead - No

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sat Dec 22 14:06:03 EST 2012

12/22/12 8:15-9:00 with Patrick Dugan and Bill Van Loan - from Shippan Point (Stamford and Shippan Avenues) we had 14 Northern Gannet with one individual flying very close to shore for outstanding views - it dove in front of us and briefly sat on the water before taking flight again.  We also observed 7 Razorbills, two were on the water off Stamford Ave and one flew straight at us off Shippan Ave, then landed allowing a brief look before either diving or becoming obscured by rough surface conditions.  Both Red-throated and Common Loons were seen as were at least 20 Common Goldeneye, also Long-tailed Ducks, American Wigeon and Bufflehead.

I then went to Laurel Reservoir in North Stamford in search the Redhead previously reported by Patrick but could not relocate it.  There were 50+ Ruddy Ducks, maybe more including many individuals scattered around and 100+ Common Mergansers in two separate groups along with a few Hooded Mergansers and Bufflehead.  Parking along this reservoir is tricky although possible.  I did not see the Redhead, but there are a lot of areas with obstructed or limited views so it could still be there and is worth checking again.  There was one immature Bald Eagle seen working the area.

One Common Raven flew over the Grade A which is located near Newfield & Dorlen in Stamford.

Brenda Inskeep