[CT Birds] Razorbills, Stamford

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Dec 23 17:48:33 EST 2012

Thanks Sara for putting out the report while I was still in the field.

I arrived at the end of Stamford Ave (Shippan Pt) in Stamford around 9 AM.  Just a few minutes later I had one Razorbill on the water, short but conclusive looks before it disappeared.  Around 9:30 four Razorbills flew in from the left (east) and landed right in front of me, and quite near (by Razorbill standards at least).  They gave nice looks when they bobbed above the waves for just a few minutes, and then they dove.  I know they "fly" quite well under water, but it is amazing how thoroughly they can disappear.  Though I continued to scan, I only came up with a single one on the surface about half an hour later, around 10:00.

Other birds were as expected, including Common Goldeneye, Red-throated Loon, Red-breasted Merganser, and Bufflehead.  I did not identify an gannets.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT