[CT Birds] Stratford WHITE IBIS, YC NIGHT HERON, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 24 11:40:52 EST 2012

12/24/2012  Stratford - I did some early morning birding, under sunny and cold
skies but calm conditions, with great results.

McKinney Refuge, Long Beach Blvd. - No long-legged waders were at the
"Warehouse" Pond at 7:20am, but the male EURASIAN WIGEON was in the tidal gut
(Johnson Creek) behind # 650.

Oak Bluff Ave. - Immature WHITE IBIS continues, seen well and photographed
feeding on small crabs in marsh before entrance to Long Beach.

Frash Pond (east end of Access Rd.) - PIED-BILLED GREBE, 10 Canvasbacks, 2 Great

Short Beach Park (Dorne Drive) - AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER feeding on small sandbar
across river off Milford Point.

Birdseye boat ramp - adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON (photographed), WILSON'S
SNIPE, 14 American Coot.

The Night-Heron, Oystercatcher and Grebe are new Count-Week species for the
Stratford-Milford CBC, held 12/22.

Also, I'm wondering if there might be two Eurasian Wigeons in the area - the one
in Stratford and the one at Seaside Park, Bridgeport.  And perhaps 2 imm. White
Ibises - the Stratford one and the one at Silver Sands, Milford???

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!  And good birding in the New Year.

Frank Mantlik