[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule for January

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Dec 26 13:26:59 EST 2012

Please note the January schedule of activities of the New Haven Bird

Indoor Meeting:

January 10, 7:00 pm.  Min Huang, CT DEEP.  Declining Birds, Declining
Dollars: Cause and Effect. Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200
Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.  In tight
financial times, many things are impacted in a variety of ways. The
environment is no exception. Our speaker tonight will focus on the
decline of many of our state’s non-harvested birds and the possible
causes for those declines. The underlying discussion of the
presentation will be Connecticut’s current lack of dedicated funding
for non-harvested wildlife and how such a stream of revenue could
benefit them. Using 10 other states as conservation   models,  Min
will discuss  some  of  those  states’ varying degrees of such
revenue streams. Dr. Huang is Migratory Game Bird Program Leader for
the CT Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection and he heads up
the non-game bird program for the state. He is an adjunct Research
Scientist with UConn’s Dept. of Natural Resources and the
Environment. His projects include chimney swift survival rate
estimates, and shrubland and forest interior bird productivity and
distribution.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For
more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport.
Wednesday, January 2, 7:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a
mid-week trip to this fine birding spot on Long Island Sound at Exit
18 of I-95. We will check the Sound for loons, goldeneye, grebes, and
other sea ducks. The park’s fields are a good place to look for
Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and sparrows. Meet at the main parking
lot in the park. Leader—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Lake Gaillard, North Branford.  Saturday, January 5, 8:00 am. Free
and open to the public. Come celebrate the new year looking for birds
at Lake Gaillard.  We will take a leisurely walk by the dam and
Christmas tree plantation to view winter residents.  We should be
able to find bald eagles as long as there is some open water. Meet at
the gate at the top of North Street in North Branford.  Leader—John
Triana: jtriana1 at rwater.com

Stratford/Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 13, 7:30 am.   Free
and open to the public. Today we visit the marshes and beaches in
Stratford and Milford.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks including
scoters, scaup, loons and grebes, gulls, raptors, and shorebirds.
Meet at the commuter lot on Schoolhouse Road in Milford just south of
Exit 35 on I-95.  Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,
closcalz at optonline.net

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director