[CT Birds] Shoreline Gulling this morning Keith Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Dec 26 13:48:03 EST 2012

Spent the morning from 7:45 am to 12:30 pm Gulling along the coast. I
stopped at Hammonasset and Circle Beach in Madison, Guilford Harbor,
Great Harbor (at the end of Trolley Road, along 146 at the Lost Lake
poutpouring, Leetes Marsh and Shell Beach in Guilford, Long Wharf in
New Haven, West Haven boat ramp, West Haven beaches, and Oyster River
Beaches in West Haven, and Long Beach Park, Fifth Avenue Beach, and
Birdseye Street boat ramp in Stratford.

I searched through hundreds, hundreds and hundreds of Gulls and the
only two Gulls of significance where the continuing adult ICELAND GULL
at Circle Beach in Madison, and the returning adult ICELAND GULL
(Frank's Gull) at the end of Fifth Avenue in Stratford. I never found
any banded/numbered or tagged Gulls!!

A few other highlights: a few dozen Brant feeding on the lawns with
Canada Geese at Jimmie's Restaurant in West Haven. Many Goldeneyes
behind the walkway sea wall near Jimmy's (someone may want to look for
Barrows). A small flock of (what appeared to be) Redpolls flying west
along Long Beach Park (gate still closed). Flock of Horned Larks/Snow
Buntings on the eastern end of the landing strip near 113 in Stratford
(I was driving by). And a few continuing Coot at the Stratford boat

Happy BIrding!

Keith Mueller