[CT Birds] First day of snow cover! Pine Grosbeaks

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 15:40:44 EST 2012

Nothing like the first cold, snow-covered day at the feeders!  Highlights were 3 PINE GROSBEAKS (a lifebird for me) and a sharp-shinned hawk that landed and sat on top of one of the feeders.  The grosbeaks were here only briefly -- made me temporarily glad to be out shoveling snow or I'd have probably missed them.  One sat on top of feeder pole for 2 minutes just 8' away, giving me lots of time for id'ing.  Where was my camera?  Complete list:

1 sharp shinned hawk
2 mourning doves
2 downy woodpeckers
1 bluejay
1 american crow
4 bc chickadees
3 tufted titmice
1 rb nuthatch
1 wt nuthatch
2 bluebirds
15 starlings
4 song sparrows
10 white throated sparrows
25+ dark eyed juncoes
3 cardinals
1 rw blackbird (!)
6 goldfinches
2 purple finches
1 house finch
40+ house sparrows
3 pine grosbeaks

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville, CT

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them
tasks and work but rather, teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
                           -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery