[CT Birds] New London ferry CBC 12/29

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 29 17:46:53 EST 2012

12/29 New London
Frank Mantlik, along with Tina Green, Sara Zagorski, Kathy Van der Aue, and Dan
Rottino (and family) participated on the New London CBC by riding the first
ferry (M.V. Mary Ellen, 7am) to Orient Point NY and back.  It was pretty quiet,
birdwise, on the CT side at least, but highlights were 1 No. Gannet, 1
Razorbill, 4 DC Cormorant, 6 Great Cormorant, 1 No. Harrier, 2 Fish Crow, and
120 Common Grackles, and many of both loons.  [The NY side produced 5 large
alcids (probably all Razorbills), 5 N. Gannets, 26 Common Eiders, many
White-winged and Surf Scoters, 1 Black Scoter.]  Skies overcast, cold 37F, calm
NE breeze 2-8 mph, in advance of afternoon snowfall. [Note: FM rode the noon
ferry on 12/27 and saw 1 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE AND 1 Bonaparte's Gull in CT
waters for  Count Week.]

To view today's complete eBird checklists:

CT waters:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12408767

NY waters:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12408931

It appeared as though a CBC was taking place at Orient Point as well.  If anyone
knows who serves as compiler of that Count, please email me; they might want our
data.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT