[CT Birds] Mystic to Mumford Cove - NL CBC

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 18:03:14 EST 2012

from James Restivo, Tommy & Linda Self, Scott Tsagarakis, and Glenn Williams:
12/29 - (All locations in Groton), Groton Long Point -- 2 RAZORBILL, PURPLE SANDPIPER, BROWN CREEPER, 2 FOX SPARROW
Mystic -- YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 2 FOX SPARROW
Noank -- RAZORBILL
Haley Farm -- displaying AMERICAN WOODCOCK, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, 2 FOX SPARROW
Groton Transfer Station (permission required) -- WILSON'S SNIPE, 6 AMERICAN PIPITS

The Groton Long Point flats had zero shorebirds - a big miss, but we had four species across Mumford Cove on the beach of the east side of Bluff Point (BB Plover, Dunlin, and Ruddy Turnstone).  Oddly, a Purple Sandpiper was working the beach like a Dunlin.  Has anyone seen one feeding on a non-rocky beach before?  We had zero warblers for the day - a count first for all.  Not sure how the rest of the count made out as snow prevented many from going to the compilation.

Glenn Williams
Mystic