[CT Birds] Trailwood CBC - Pomfret

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 19:02:02 EST 2012

The highlight from my territory (mostly Pomfret and some of Brooklyn) was Yellow-headed Blackbird (adult male - distant photos) among a mixed flock of blackbirds (mostly grackles) from Darby Road - probably one of Bob Dixon's :). Other interesting birds were Bald Eagle (1), Eastern Screech-Owl (4 - and my only owls), Common Raven (2), Savannah Sparrow (6), and Pine Siskin (2) - total of 38 species.

It was a beautiful early morning with freshly fallen snow, fast moving clouds in a mostly clear night and a near-full moon but the wind hampered owling in a big way. More gusting winds during the day had birds hunkering down and virtually no open water.

I was pishing next to a marshy area and noticed a mammal was repeatedly popping up in the 8" of snow near the edge of the road. I switched to squeaking and a mink popped its head up and stared at me for about 15 seconds. Pretty cool!

Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT