[CT Birds] For Rare Bird Book Aficionados

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 1 10:40:34 EST 2013

If you love old bird books as I do, you will want to check out "America's Other Audubon" by Joy M. Kiser. The book contains the remarkable story of the Jones family. Inspired by Aubudon's work, Genevieve Jones,age 29 and an amateur artist, began working on a companion volume to Audubon's work, "Illustrations of the Nests and Eggs of the Birds of Ohio."  When Genevieve died suddenly of typhoid, her family labored 7 years to complete the work in her memory. Only 90 copies were printed and 25 are now known to exist.

This volume contains a splendid reprint of the illustrations. The comments are also wonderful. An example: "The field sparrow is retiring in its habits and therefore has few acquaintances except among ornithologists."  The old names of birds are also interesting: Lettuce Bird is known to us as the Goldfinch.

I got this book from the library...on my wish list now to own.

Zellene