[CT Birds] Stratford Birding, Short Earred Owl, and Iceland Gull Vent

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 15:00:51 EST 2013

At my feeders this morning:
2 Tufted Tit Mice
3 Chickadees
2 Red Breasted Nut Hatch
3 Male Cardinals
4 Female Cardinals
2 Male Downy
4 Starlings
3 White Throated Sparrows
20ish House Sparrows
5 Mourning Doves
One of the Tit Mice and 1 Chickadee came to the window feeder at the window I was sitting by.  So cute.

A lot of Northern Harriers seen around town as well as a few Red Tails.

Birdseye Boat Ramp had two Horned Grebes close to shore.

Short Beach - thanks to Frank M. being there I was able to see the Short Earred Owl via his scope that was on a small Sandbar with Goldeneyes nearby.
Snow Goose was close to road and got great views of him.

Long Beach - Iceland Gull
After not being able to get good views of Iceland yesterday because of a dog I went back today.  He was by the first jetty on the left again.  Knowing he spooks easy I took my time approaching and was circling around the side to get a good side view.  Well, I don't know who and don';t care who the photographers are that came plowing up the beach from the other side and who saw me giving the bird space, but they barreled right up to him practically and of course he flew off....very rude. Given the length of the lenses they were using did they really need to get on top of him.  It was extremely rude given the fact they saw me looking at the bird. Not to mention the poor bird! They proceeded to "chum" the other gulls for photo ops and I walked the beach and came back after they left.  Iceland returned and I was able to get nice views of his sides and tail while watching him preen himself.  What a beautiful bird he is!  While walking the beach saw a 2nd Year Great Black Backed and about 10 Sanderlings.

Also, there was another birder/photographer there that I tried to call out to as he left because he was obviously looking for the Iceland but didn't scan the small group of gulls very well because he was right there.  So make sure to check the Gulls careful or ask if you see another birder in the area : )

Donna Caporaso

Stratford, CT