[CT Birds] Shades of Hoary-ness?

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:32:43 EST 2013

Excellent summary Roy. Thank you. Sibley has many blog posts on the
matter that take some time to sort through.

I'll also point out the following paper from North American Birds:
http://www.aba.org/nab/v65n2redpolls.pdf

Brandon Holden has put a great page together:
http://peregrineprints.com/zzz_Article_Redpolls.htm

And, for fun (and confusion, because it addresses Old World redpoll
taxa), this Punkbirder article is highly entertaining:
http://punkbirder.webs.com/rolloverview.htm

Redpoll identification can be very fun and is always challenging. I'm
looking forward to spending some time with these often tame birds this
winter. They should only become more common.

As far as separating the two Hoary subspecies, exilipes (the more
common) is about the same size as our typical Common Redpoll
subspecies, while the even rarer hornemanii should be noticeably
larger in size.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com