[CT Birds] A Big Year Open Letter of Thanks

James Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Tue Jan 1 22:25:03 EST 2013

I would sincerely like to thank the Connecticut Birding Community for the support I received during my 2012 CT Big Year. I ended up with 311 species not counting that pair of Trumpeters, an Audubon's Warbler or the Thayer's candidate that Renee and I had at the Landfill. I truly could have never reached that number without many people going out of their way to help me, far beyond the phone calls, texts and emails, and of course the amazingly skilled birders of CT who found some really incredible birds this year. I chased 18 species 43 times that I never ticked and I think I now know where almost every cattle farm and crabapple tree is in the State. Also, I felt out of respect for everyone who has come before in this gargantuan task and those who will soon follow that I tried to document each species. I was fortunate in this to either be with another birder or get on film 309 of the 311 and the two I saw alone and couldn't get on film were "known" birds. Again, I owe much gratitude to the birders of Connecticut who's passion for this wondrous sport makes so many out-of-staters envious of what we have here and helped me get through this. With a White Ibis, a Bullock's Oriole, Pine Grosbeaks, fancy Geese and a Hoary Redpoll (or two) hanging around this might be a good day to start a Big Year, I mean you, not me.

Jim Dugan
New Milford