[CT Birds] More on the Hoary Redpoll

John Oshlick john.oshlic at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 13:25:01 EST 2013

After I read Roy's post yesterday I set Roy an Email. He asked that I send the Email to CT birds so here it is.
From: John Oshlick <john.oshlic at yahoo.com>
Subject: Hoary
To: rmharvey at snet.net
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 9:22 PM

Great post about hoary redpoll. Once I saw that the redpolls were coming I started to prepare for finding a hoary. I had already read all of the Sibley blog stuff. You are right about how interesting the info about the tiaga birds vs the tundra birds.

I felt that I saw a hoary today. The bird I saw was very pale. It was also without really any brown tones on it (In other words the bird was totally in shades of white and black). It did have a bit of "Butterscotch" around the face which I saw listed somewhere as a field mark for hoary. The main field mark that impressed me was what Sibley labled "Pale Frosty Rear Scapulars" in his guide. This really "Popped" for me. The bird definity stood out. The bird was also slightly bigger than common redpolls. I did not really get a good look at the rump although Bill A. did and said that it was pale. With the Sibley info in mind (especially about the wide variability among hoaries) I felt comfortable saying that the bird was a hoary.

I can also say that I want to see more and hopefully there will be more. I think that we will be up to our eyeballs in redpolls by Febuary.

Now the next thing is to find a "Greater Redpoll"

- John Oshlick
John Oshlick