[CT Birds] Stratford ICELAND GULL, SNOW GEESE, Longspur, etc.
mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 16:56:53 EST 2013
Jan. 3. Stratford
- feeders near Boothe Park (Main St. Putney) - 2 COMMON REDPOLLS, Northern
- Long Beach - adult ICELAND GULL, 120 Common Goldeneye, 7 Sanderlings,
Red-shouldered Hawk (imm.),hunters in marsh.
- Birdseye boat ramp - 7 Green-winged Teal, 15 Am. Coot, 1 Killdeer.
- Stratford Greenway (Beacon Point Rd.) - Swamp Sparrow.
- Frash Pond - 8 Canvasback, 1 Ruddy Duck, 1 Greater Yellowlegs.
- Short Beach Park - lone adult SNOW GOOSE continues on golf course near blue
concession stand. 15 Savannah Sparrows, 5 Red-winged Blackbirds.
- Stratford Point - male Surf Scoter, 1 Black-bellied Plover, 17 Dunlin, 2
- Sikorsky Airport - 5 SNOW GEESE with Canadas, 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR, 1 Snow
Bunting, 50 Horned Larks.
- Raven Pond Park (East Main St./Rt 110) - male Northern Pintail, male Mandarin
Duck (escaped captive).
- home residence - Brown Creeper.
I looked for, but could not locate the immature WHITE IBIS. Am. Tree Sparrows
were abundant and ubiquitous.
Jan. 3. Bridgeport, Johnson Creek - male EURASIAN WIGEON at end of Union Ave.
First-winter male COMMON EIDER at end of Central Ave., on sandy beach at far
(Pleasure Beach) side of defunct bridge. It seemed to be a different individual
than the one that had been at Stratford Point. Also, Pied-billed Grebe.
More information about the CTBirds