[CT Birds] Dark Raptor

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 21:30:29 EST 2013

'Tis the season for Western Red-tails!

Steve Mayo
Bethany

________________________________
 From: "kmueller at ntplx.net" <kmueller at ntplx.net>
To: peeplo at aol.com
Cc: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Dark Raptor

Frank,

I had a very dark (almost black) Buteo a few days ago in the trees at Grass Island in Guilford. From a distance in binoculars it looked like a dark Rough-legged to me. It finally took off and flew over East River marsh. It was the darkest Redtail I had ever seen! I have to admit, although it was a beautiful dark Redtail, I was hoping for a Rough-Legged!

Keith Mueller

Quoting peeplo at aol.com: