[CT Birds] Buteo ID help

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Fri Jan 4 10:03:03 EST 2013

Looks like a rough-legged to me.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: CTBirds [mailto:ctbirds-bounces at lists.ctbirding.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Cala
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:59 PM
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: [CT Birds] Buteo ID help

All-

Was wondering if you can help settle a debate on one of the forums I post on.  This bird was seen in Hadley, MA the other day and has caused an interesting debate as to whether it's a Rough-legged or Red-tailed.
I've yet to see a RL, but I'm having problems making this into a Red-tailed.

Any thoughts?

The two pictures can be found here:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/justindlawson/LAW_0841_zps6acb59e6.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/justindlawson/LAW_0842_zpsa1a35fa9.jpg