[CT Birds] Buteo ID solution

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri Jan 4 12:31:20 EST 2013

I believe your bird is a Red-tail. The underparts are well lit by snow (?) and
look overly contrasty with the dark belly streaks. There is a lack of prominent
carpal patches that a Rough-legged would show. The far wing has a relatively
plain looking upperwing, which again would fit red-tailed. The underpart on a
pale morph Rough-legged would look different than this with a more solid looking
belly. Jerry Liguori, author of the great Hawks at a Distance had also seen
these photos and independently reached the same conclusion. Hope this helps in
your debate.

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519

Was wondering if you can help settle a debate on one of the  forums I post on.
This bird was seen in Hadley, MA the other day and  has caused an interesting
debate as to whether it's a Rough-legged or  Red-tailed.
I've yet to see a RL, but I'm having problems making this into a Red-tailed.

Any thoughts?

The two pictures can be found here: