[CT Birds] Buteo ID solution

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri Jan 4 12:31:20 EST 2013

Joe,

I believe your bird is a Red-tail. The underparts are well lit by snow (?) and
look overly contrasty with the dark belly streaks. There is a lack of prominent
carpal patches that a Rough-legged would show. The far wing has a relatively
plain looking upperwing, which again would fit red-tailed. The underpart on a
pale morph Rough-legged would look different than this with a more solid looking
belly. Jerry Liguori, author of the great Hawks at a Distance had also seen
these photos and independently reached the same conclusion. Hope this helps in
your debate.

Julian

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519
www.naturescapeimages.wordpress.com

All-

Was wondering if you can help settle a debate on one of the  forums I post on.
This bird was seen in Hadley, MA the other day and  has caused an interesting
debate as to whether it's a Rough-legged or  Red-tailed.
I've yet to see a RL, but I'm having problems making this into a Red-tailed.

Any thoughts?

The two pictures can be found here:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/justindlawson/LAW_0841_zps6acb59e6.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/justindlawson/LAW_0842_zpsa1a35fa9.jpg