[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet in Willimantic

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 15:09:11 EST 2013

There is a Monk Parakeet (no bands) that has made a home for itself at 54 Elm Street in Willimantic. It's roosting in a hole in the peak of a house just under the roofline (see photo link below). Apparently it's been there since at least "early October". This is the first occurrence in this area that I know of. Coincidentally the Willimantic River is very close to this spot so perhaps it followed the river?

This is a residential street and the neighbors and owner are birder-friendly but it would be good to keep it that way. While I'm not expecting a mad rush to see it (except by county listers perhaps), if you're planning a visit know that it's a narrow one-way street with parking only on the left - don't block driveways please.

Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT