[CT Birds] Buteo ID solution

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Jan 4 15:49:07 EST 2013

I sent Joe my answer - Red-tail - last night but apparenbtly didn't copy in
the list. As Julian notes, the big carpal patches of a Rough-leg are absent,
and in that spot you can see the dark "comma" mark of a Red-tail. The angle
ofn the tail is severe, but I think it's pretty clear that the broad dark
subterminal band of a Rough-legged is missing. I think sun glare off snow is
probably making the overall colors more starkly black and white than they
really are.

Greg Hanisek