[CT Birds] Simsbury Grosbeaks - NO - but...

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 19:39:35 EST 2013

This afternoon I drove to  Simsbury following Sara's excellent directions to locate the Pine Grosbeaks.I found the location easily, but no Grosbeaks.  However, as I sat focusing on the ditch, I noticed a hawk coming into view, an adult Bald Eagle, spectacular wings straight out, glided south about 50 feet above the ditch, effortlessly surfing the air currents. Awesome! I had a perfect view with the l ight just right to see the bird clearly.  So, Thank You Sara. Without your Grosbeak report I wouldn't have driven to Simsbury and would have missed  a great Eagle sighting, a lovely ride on Simsbury's  back roads and a colorful sunset to my right as I drove east to Enfield. It was a wonderful end to a rather prosaic day. Sometimes you don't find what you're looking for, but something just as good or better.
Louise P. Tucker
Enfield, CT