[CT Birds] Pine grosbeaks, Simsbury

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 13:31:32 EST 2013

Steve,

I have planted a good number of fruiting trees and shrubs in the yard over the years.  In the past two weeks it has been overtaken by robins and starlings.  They have eaten all the fruits in the yard - crab apples, winterberry, European holly, etc.  The same thing happened to all of the crab apples at work.  It happens every year.  I guess you have to get lucky with the timing of the optimal fruit freezing/readiness with the edge of the vagrants on their descent south.  It is amazing how fast a yard can be stripped.

Glenn Williams
Mystic