[CT Birds] Simsbury Pine Grosbeaks - YES

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 15:23:32 EST 2013

I returned to Simsbury Farms Park Simsbury, today at 12:00 noon. 3 female Pine Grosbeaks were in the crabapple tree being watched by 3 other birders. They had been there for some time. About 15 minutes later, the birds flew back into the bushes. We could see them moving around , but they looked very dark and hard to identify. I was told that they took breaks there from time to time. About 1/2 hour later, one by one they returned to the tree and continued eating. They were in the tree when I left about 1:00 pm. Apparently this is a pattern. They eat, take a break, etc.  If they are not being seen in the tree, check the bushes or wait a while and they will return.

It was bitterly cold at noon.  Dress warmly. You need hat and gloves.

Louise P. Tucker
Enfield, CT