[CT Birds] New London Ferry - Common Murre

Bill Asteriades bill.asteriades at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 23:01:29 EST 2013

Hi Steve,

I can offer my thoughts and others comment, if they prefer.  We went out
today since we could not make it last weekend for the New London CBC due to
inclement weather.  We were pessimistic to start the day due to strong
westerly winds, which normally does not bode well for pelagics in the
Sound, and a low count of pelagics off Montauk Point yesterday (sustained
easterly and south easterly winds are best).  We were pleasantly surprised
with the good number of razorbills in NY waters, which interestingly there
were 6 of them together near Plum Island.  We had 3 on the way to Orient
Point and 8 on the return, all in the same area, but opted to be
conservative and only counted 8.  The alcids and 100+ white-winged scoter,
which seemed like a high count, were driven to the area by a food source
and not the wind direction.  Similar to last year's alcid run, once the
food source leaves the area then the alcids will leave as well.

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury, CT