[CT Birds] Rough-legged Hawk, Wethersfield Meadows

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 7 22:57:57 EST 2013

1/7 - Wethersfield, Great Meadow Rd

Clare Meade notified me yesterday that she had seen a light -morph Rough-legged hawk on the road in the meadows near where the Elm St. entrance road intersects with Great Meadow Rd. Great Meadow Rd is the main road through both Rocky Hill and Wethersfield meadows and connects the two areas.

I approached from the Rocky Hill way and spotted the bird in a tree by the river a distance before the Elm St. turn-off. The bird had a light head and I could see the white feathers on the legs ruffled in the wind. I went by the bird and stopped a distance away from it to get a good look at it, but it then flew across the river and I could see the underwing patches. Very exciting to find one there.

Among the savannah sparrows in the Rocky Hill section at the motorcross rd intersection with Great Meadow rd was a Vesper sparrow.

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield

Sent from my iPhone