[CT Birds] On Monk Parakeet sightings in "odd" places

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 18:57:47 EST 2013

I almost spit my entire cup of Ovaltine (or was it Ensure?) onto the computer screen when I saw this post from Mr. Harvey.  I believe that is exactly what happens.

I remember years ago a Short Beach (coastal Branford) resident chopped down half a beautiful, towering, majestic White Pine to try to eliminate these raucous beasts.  It must have cost a fortune and, this resident apparently didn't understand that birds are mobile.  The savy little aratingids (myiopsittids, whatever) flew a couple feet over and built nests in the adjacent tree.

That White Pine still looks horrible and that resident is still probably being awakened at 6 am on Sunday mornings.

Steve Mayo
Bethany