[CT Birds] Monk Parakeets Invasive

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 20:39:46 EST 2013

This discussion highlights the importance of good scientific investigation
in wildlife management.  To eradicate or encourage a species, you need to
understand their feeding, habitat and behavioral needs.  Monk parakeets are
colonial birds, meaning they live and breed in colonies, sometimes large
ones.   The prevailing theory about their colonies is that, by breaking up
the colony, you cause the death of the birds.  Certainly the lack of birds
in large numbers, following destruction of the nests, seems to support that
theory.  So, maybe they're not like bittersweet or some other invasives, but
rather like bees, where an essential element (the queen, or the critical
mass of birds) is necessary to the health and existence of the whole colony.

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville, CT

essage -----