[CT Birds] Rusty the RBNH, but also really a Rusty!

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Wed Jan 9 21:45:18 EST 2013

Finally, I was able to take my usual walk around Lake Whitney, FOY, and I glanced out back.  The first bird I saw:  small Grackle?  Yellow-eyed Red-winged?  No, a Rusty Blackbird.  (And a moment later, "Rusty" the RBNH showed up, too.)  It was feeding on the ground, rather nervously watching the squirrels, quite skittishly grabbing what it could.  Very nice view of a pretty bird.

Yard first and CT first for me.  Flo:  it flew off into RWA property.

From Arthur Shippee:
01/09/13 - Hamden, North Lake Dr. -- 1 Rusty Blackbird, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch continues.

Lake Whitney is almost entirely frozen still, except around bridges;  there was enough open water near a shore for one Great Blue Heron.  The Mill R. mouth is clear, and has lots of gulls, plus Gadwall, Ring-Necked, & Hoods.

Lake Whitney circle, 11-12:30.  Clear & cool.  20 species:  Rusty Blackbird, House Finch, House Sparrow, Chickadee, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Downey WP, Tufted Titmouse, Red-bellied WP, Great Blue Heron, Blue Jay (ca. 5), Cardinal, Pigeon, Crow, Ring Billed Gull, Herring Gull (scores of the pair), Mallard, Swan, Hooded Merganser, Ring Necked Duck (20+), Gadwall (5-10).