[CT Birds] monk parakeets

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:10:43 EST 2013

Well, to clear up a common misconception, the Carolina Parakeet was not native to CT according to all available information.  The furthest north and east they got was New York State.  However, if they were still around, climate change and bird feeders may have shifted things enough for them to live here.

Secondly, I do not wish this discussion to devolve into a debate as to whether or not Monk Parakeets belong here.  This was not the intent of my original post, which was just to discuss the science regarding the seemingly odd sightings of the Monks in the past few weeks.  I think we can all agree that they are probably here to stay, like it or not, so discussing if they should be here only serves to further upset people for no real good reason.

Kevin