[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:42:47 EST 2013

1/11/13  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center & Long Island Sound
side
7AM-11AM. low tide rising,  cloudy, 33-41F.
I conducted a mid-winter Bald Eagle survey at the Coastal Center today.  No
Bald Eagles sighted, but I had 4 hours of beautiful bird, waterfowl viewing
(aside from the 6 hunters on the marsh).
Viewed from 2nd & 3rd tiers of observation platform:
150+ Canada Geese with 1 goose noticeably smaller than others, 6 American
Wigeon, about 21 Red Breasted Mergansers, 6 Gadwalls, about 17 Bufflehead,
1 Northern harrier soaring over marsh, mallards, mute swans, Black ducks.
The marsh was so quiet in the morning that I heard the wings of the swans
as they flew by.
Birds seen included Carolina wren, Cardinal, mockingbird, Fish Crow-heard,
White throated, song & house sparrows and mourning doves.
Viewed the Long Island sound side from 8:50-9:15AM- 2 female Northern
harriers sitting on sand spit a few feet apart,
3 RB Mergansers, 1 Greater black backed gull, Ringed bill & herring gulls,
about 75 black ducks.
Bev Propen, Orange,