[CT Birds] Leucistic Eagle question

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Jan 8 16:12:39 EST 2013

There was an eagle seen in Washington state that appears to be partially albino, or leucistic.

I agree, but wanted to get some opinions as to whether it could perhaps be a say 5-year old bird that is retaining some immature plumage.  The speckles look too white to me and Ken pointed out that he thinks the white is in the wrong places, but I'm did an interview about this bird for National Geographic and they wanted to see if we can rule out this possibility.   The head and tail appear to be all white, but in the first photo, there is some duskiness behind the eye, which could be mud or blood.

Beautiful bird and of interest for that in any case.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road