[CT Birds] On Monk Parakeet sightings in "odd" places

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jan 9 17:01:30 EST 2013

Entirely unscientific, but I've long had a sort of mental image of how attempts to get rid of Monk Parakeets might work out in real life.  Remember the movie Fantasia, and Mickey Mouse (The Sorcerer's Apprentice) trying to stop the brooms from carrying water?  He chopped them up with an ax, and every piece became a new broom.  I have the idea that is what happens one of those communal nests is destroyed without killing the birds - destroy one, end up with two new ones.  And of course the chance for dispersal goes up each time.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT