[CT Birds] Fast food Raven

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Jan 10 08:54:11 EST 2013

When I started birding all too many years ago, I was travelling in Maine and I stopped at McDonalds for a quick bite. While there I noticed Ravens eating discarded French fries in the parking lot. At the time Ravens were very uncommon in CT, and certainly not in southeast CT at all, and I wondered if I would ever live to see one eating discarded fast food in CT. Well a very long time later, this morning in fact, I was pumping gas into my car at Stop and Shop in Waterford. Across the street is a Burger King. While I was pumping, a Raven in the tree next to the station swooped down toward the Burger King parking lot. I got quite a thrill when I thought I was going to see that circle closed. Anticipating the Raven scavenging fast food, I was a little surprised to see it go for a gull carcass instead. Oh well, fast food on the one hand, and dead gull on the other. Close enough.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.