[CT Birds] Monks in Milford

Gary Witte wirthwitte at att.net
Thu Jan 10 10:59:14 EST 2013

I live 1/2 mile from the shore on the West Haven side of Milford. I have seen
large flocks of Monk Parakeets at bird feeders one street from LIS, but I don't
know about nest locations.  Groups of 3-12 come to feed on the abundant seeds at
the tops of the mature Tulip Poplars, both this winter and last (gorgeous green
and yellow against a brilliant blue sky). They tend to visit my feeder in a
group of 3 (4 times this year), and seem to visit in larger groups (7-9) on snow
days. This year, the largest group was 9 on the feeder with 6 more in the trees
(Nov.7th N'easter), and the smallest group was 2. It looks like they are eating
the white millet and not the sunflower. After 15 minutes they leave-seems they
prefer the wild food.

Several times in the last 2 months, I have heard a group of Monks calling
loudly, and scanning the treetops, I saw a hawk. Three times, it was a flying
Coopers Hawk, and twice, a Red-tail (once perched and once flying). They fly
about in a group, seemingly unafraid of the hawk.  Since they look alot like the
Mourning Dove, Cooper Hawk's Fave Food at my feeder, in size and shape, this
surprised me. I haven't heard my 2 Jays mobbing hawks at all.
-Winie Wirth, Milford