[CT Birds] Invasive?

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Thu Jan 10 20:16:34 EST 2013

Cardinals have moved on their own;  aren't the Monk populations all from one or more human introductions?  I think House Finch would be a better parallel, as an introduced species.  And I'm glad for the House Finch.  But I do think we need to take some responsibility to curb dangerous invasives, when the case is analyzed and supported:  the Emerald Ash Borer comes to mind.

If, as has been asserted, Monks are not putting significant competitive pressure on native species of birds or food sources, then my main objection to them is removed.  I would not mind knowing how we know their presence is largely harmless to native species.

Thanks for the data and analysis.