[CT Birds] Hammo Monk Removal & Non-natives

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:47:51 EST 2013

I clearly recall discussing the presence of Monks at Hammo a few years ago with a DEP worker but I was never told there were plans to get rid of them!  I would certainly never want any harm to come to a single feather on any of those adorable birds even if they are not native to CT.  That action seems to have been kept secret from the public at large.  The official also told me at that time that they were in Old Saybrook, but I have never heard reports of their presence there.  I have to admit, the bright green color is so beautiful.  As far as scientifically monitoring their dispersal mechanism - collecting data on their nesting activities, movements, and range expansion could easily be done.  For instance, take notes and log each sighting and nesting activities into e-bird for future reference should someone conduct a suitable study.  Banding one or more colonies and monitoring their spread could be another option.  I am not sure I feel the same way with Starlings, House Sparrows, and Mute Swans.  I did see two house sparrows suffering once due to some spilled corn syrup they got stuck in, so I did rescue them from a horrible fate, but I would not otherwise encourage their propogation and I do not feed them or starlings at my bird feeders.  When they come, I remove the feed for one day and they go back to the farm from whence they came.  I love birds, so that seems to be a better approach to me.