[CT Birds] Invasiveds

Tom de Boor tomdb2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 11:30:13 EST 2013

My 2 cents...man's impact on the environment has become so pervasive that
it has become increasingly difficult and artificial to try to distinguish
between the birds that we 'introduced' and the ones that got to where they
are now 'on their own.'  For example, unless someone released a Monk
Parakeet into your yard, it took the initiative to fly there from
somewhere. For me, that's tough to distinguish from a Cardinal that's
only here because of food supplies we created and climate change we
generated. Even the original out-of-range journeys of many of these birds
are becoming increasingly human-generated. To me, the smart thing to do as
birders is to treat invasives as we do any other birds, in terms of
counting and reporting them, and in this way fulfilling our scientific
purpose, such as it is. After all, the trade wind of human trade that
brings a steady stream of parrots to our shores is likely more ecologically
relevant than a freak storm that brings a once in a century vagrant.   Of
course, thanks to man, those freak storms are increasingly unfreak, too.

Tom de Boor
Branford, CT