[CT Birds] Hoary Redpolls-Winchester, Bullock's Oriole-Ellington, 1/11

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 20:50:29 EST 2013

Was able to see both of my targets today (1/11) -

Hoary Redpolls - saw 2 in with the flock of 150+ redpolls on Laurel Way in Winchester - 9:30-10:30.  Very few came to the feeders at 121 Laurel.  Instead the flock was coming to a house across the road and a bit to the W - but not readily viewable.  Instead the flock was visible at a distance as they perched at the top of trees across the road around the edges of the field.  Even at a distance the frosty appearance was visible with binocs, but needed scope views to confirm the ID.

Bullock's Oriole - after 9 hours of waiting over 3 visits I finally saw the Bullock's Oriole on Pinney Street in Ellington.  I arrived at 12:30 but didn't see the bird until it came in at 2:50 and was seen briefly feeding on the ground a few times until 3 PM.  The oriole came in from the north with other feeder birds.  Maybe the other feeder(s) it is visiting is(are) off to the north.

>From Mike Resch:

1/11/13 - Winchester, Laurel Way - 2 Hoary Redpolls with 150+ Commons

1/11/13 - Ellington, Pinney Street - 1 Bullock's Oriole

Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA