[CT Birds] Grackles and the bird feeder blues!!

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 16:15:18 EST 2013

That situation appears unlikely in the northern part of the state, where blackbirds have been tough to come by.  The Hartford Christmas Count had record low numbers of grackles and cowbirds in particular.  Snowstorms do tend to bring in things that might be in the area but have been eschewing the free handouts at feeders.  A couple of the best birds on my yard list arrived after storms.  Today brought my first Common Redpolls of the season, which was a pleasant sight.  A single Song Sparrow and a couple of White-throats returned for the first time since the last snowstorm.  They're around but when the coast is clear they prefer to find their own food.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT