[CT Birds] Birding today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Jan 17 18:13:01 EST 2013

Highlights from Today:

I had to go to Long Island today on business, so I took the 7:30 am
ferry from Bridgeport. I started at Seaside Park west at dawn 7:00 am
(not the main Park which was closed) but the extended Park to the west
off Atlantic Ave (gate was open). To be brief....there were allot of
Gulls on the beach, maybe 400! I didn't have time to look through them
as I had to get to the Ferry. If anyone lives nearby they may want to
give the roost a look.

Crossing the Sound, a handful of Loons (mostly Common), Oldsquaw,
Scoters and a single Horned Grebe and 5 Great Cormorant (3 CT, 2 NY).
5 Gannets (3 over and 2 on the return on the CT side if that matters).

New York, Setauket (LI): Little Bay- handful of Wigeon and Gadwall.
Mill Pond: 11 Shovelers, 8 Gadwall, 40 Ruddy Duck, 20 Hooded
Merganser, 3 Double Crested Cormorant,Great Blue Heron. I walked to
the inlet to try and find the Black-headed Gull, but no luck!

CT, Stratford: Long Beach Park east jetty- continuing adult ICELAND GULL.

Pond behind the houses at the end of Fifth Avenue: WHITE IBIS and 1
Great Egret. The Iceland Gull flew in to the pond and then landed on a
rooftop on a house on Fifth Ave.

Boat ramp- 18 Coot and 7 Gadwall

New Haven Harbor. Boat Ramp usual Gull roost, nothing unusual. Long
Wharf- Usual Gulls, 7 Gadwall and 300 Scaup/Ruddies behind Fish Tale
Restaurant.

Madison Circle Beach- adult ICELAND GULL continues.

Keith Mueller
Killingworth