[CT Birds] 50 Redpoll

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 19 22:19:49 EST 2013

Yesterday-1 Redpoll, today 50+ and that's been happening for weeks now.

Dave P - I to have seen about no mouse tracks in the snow this winter. And my
Barred Owl I see during the day also.

I believe its a sparse year for small rodents and owls are hunting more hrs,
with some during the day.

Jamie M - I've been seeing T Vultures here in the Torrington area this winter
from December up to today. I remember when
you didn't expect them here in inland Ct till mid February at best.

Also - with such a poor wild crop of seed trees this year, the incoming REDPOLLS
are hitting
our feeders more than expected. In my case though, I get them, but as today,
they come in numbers-(50-100)
and stay only a short time - 10-20 mins, then all leave. Could it be that a
Sharpie has settled in here for weeks now
and has found the pickins real good.....?

My friend Jim reported that he saw an albino Red-tailed Hawk on Niles rd in New
Hartford.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton -