[CT Birds] Grackles/Starlings Re: CTBirds Digest, Vol 2153, Issue 1

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 12:00:34 EST 2013

At my Stratford feeders I have not had the usual numbers of Grackles or Starlings at my feeders as I have had in past years with zero Grackles and only 3 or 4 Starlings.  Instead I have been fortunate to have a lot of Chickadees (2 to 6), Cardinals (7 when I typically only had 2 or 3), Juncos (at least a dozen) and Tufted Titmouse (3) who were all usually only casual visitors to my feeders/suet.   My two pair of Downeys are present as well as a 1 one Bluejay. I haven't seen my resident Red-Bellied Woodpecker since the summer.   Other new casual visitors have been pigeons and Monk Parakeets in small numbers.  And most unusually for me is a Cooper's Hawk that stalks the feeders from the yard behind me and has been feeding on the pigeons and a few Juncos.  I have regularly spotted two  Red Tail Hawks, one that frequents a tall evergreen down the street.

Message: 1