[CT Birds] Simsbury Black Vultures

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 19 16:40:49 EST 2013

>From Jamie Meyers:
1/19/13 -- Simsbury, Barndoor Hills Road -- 5 BLACK VULTURES flying south over some tobacco fields.

I had a TV fly over my house a couple weeks ago.  That marked the only time I can remember seeing a vulture of any kind in Farmington Valley in January.  BVs are not gimme birds in the valley, but are here in small numbers.  The white on the tips of their primaries glistened brightly, given the low angle of the sun.  Very nice!

I checked the grosbeak spot, which is pretty close as the vulture flies but no luck.  There is still plenty of fruit on those trees so it's quite likely the birds are still around.  Again this morning I had a redpoll at my feeder in Canton.  Only one, though -- not 350!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT