[CT Birds] Indigo Bunting

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Wed Jan 23 13:57:12 EST 2013

1/23/13, in Woodbridge:  the non-breeding male INDIGO BUNTING continues at
our feeders.  It is visiting more regularly now and we are trying to keep
the feeder well-stocked with food that it likes.  With each visit, we notice
more details about the bird.  The rump is a bright blue and extends to the
lower back.  There is faint blue feathering at the base of the wing.  The
upper back has brown streaks.  Although a common resident in the summer,
this species is extraordinarily rare in New England in winter.  We feel
fortunate to have it here.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge