[CT Birds] CACC-visitor comment

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:32:33 EST 2013

1/23 Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center.   As part of my volunteering at
the Coastal Center, I interact with many visitors. Most ask about what
birds/ducks are around that day, what we see here other seasons, and they
tell me what birds/ducks/shorebirds they have seen etc.  Today, one of the
visitors asked about what's out on the marsh.  I proceeded to talk about the
Gadwalls, Canada Geese, mallards and the Buffleheads........He asked,
"What's a Bufflehead?"  I got out one of our bird guides to show him a
picture and discuss the duck with him.  He said, "Oh, it's a duck.....a
duck is a duck".  It was a funny interaction, considering that more often
than not, I am the one who learns something from the visitors.
Bev Propen, Orange