[CT Birds] Danbury/Brookfield Black Vultures

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jan 23 16:34:03 EST 2013

Over the last year or so there have been several reports of large numbers of Black Vultures in the general area of the I-84 and Rt 7 north intersection in Danbury.  Today I was in the area and as I started north on Rt 7 into Brookfield saw a small kettle (about 6 birds) of Black Vultures with one Turkey Vulture mixed in.  What was really interesting though was when I was coming back.  On the long ramp going from southbound on Rt 7 to get eastbound on I-84.  Looking down, out the driver's window, there was a large gathering of vultures on the ground far below.  I couldn't give it a lot of attention while doing 50 mph or so on a curve flanked by concrete walls, but they all looked to be Black Vultures.  What made it really interesting though was one group, gathered shoulder-to-shoulder like something from a nature program about life on the Serengeti, crowded over something dead.  I assume it was a dear carcass or similar.  I can't recall seeing more than
 three or four feeding at once before.  I hesitate to estimate numbers from such a brief and compromised observation but I wouldn't be surprised if there were twenty on the ground, and ten or more in that bunch.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT