[CT Birds] Sherwood Island SP

Stephen Johnson stevejohnson2 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 24 17:07:22 EST 2013

Sherwood Island State Park
Jan. 24th, 8:00 AM to 8:45 AM

Common Goldeneye - at least 8
Long-Tailed Duck - at least 4
Common Merganser - scores, mostly flying
American Tree Sparrow (at feeders) - at least 6

also many gulls, ducks not identified (too cold), and a nice mix of common feeder birds at the feeders.  No Crossbills at this time.

The big one that got away today was an interesting sparrow that was hunkered down low near the feeders when I arrived.  Strikingly darker than nearby American Tree, Song, and White-Throated.  It flew, but not into the nearby bushes used as a temporary perch by all the other sparrows.  Instead it went straight into the swamp grass / reeds further away (to the far side of the feeders, from the nature center).

The overall appearance was very close to a Seaside Sparrow.  I'm not familiar at all with this area, or this species.  Would Seaside be normally found here at this time of year?

Thanks ---

Steve Johnson
visiting CT from Fairfax, VA