[CT Birds] Chester, 1/26 - sapsucker, bluebirds, red-tails, and bald eagle

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat Jan 26 14:33:41 EST 2013

Chester, 1/26 - A fruitful day in the neighborhood! A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER visited our suet feeder this morning. While out walking, I heard/saw 8-10 BLUEBIRDS in one small wooded area, chattering over territories. Back home, a pair of RED-TAILED HAWKS put on a beautiful flyover show, just above the treetops, calling the whole time. And finally, about 20 minutes ago, a BALD EAGLE circled over the yard and woods for about 5 minutes - unmistakable white head and rump on long, dark, straight wings. (Keep in mind that we're 6 miles west of the CT River.) I'd advise anyone in the area of Cedar Lake and/or Turkey Hill Reservoir to keep an eye out for this visitor. (We had an eagle at Cedar Lake about 2 years ago, so it's not unheard of.)
Darn good "yard birds"!
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester