[CT Birds] Voluntown Golden Eagle / Quinebaug / Sterling / Stonington

dbobolink at aol.com dbobolink at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 17:47:58 EST 2013

>From Robert Dixon
1/26/13 - Voluntown, Rte. 49 / Gallup Rd. - GOLDEN EAGLE - first seen soaring turkey vulture-like over tree line occasionally cupping wings, eventually gaining altitude giving good binocular and scope views, Overall chocolate brown with buff and silvery tones in wings maybe a trace of white, small buff head, very large bird. I did get some poor photos I will gladly pass along for comments.
Also large flock of Horned Larks that I didn't get a chance to sift through.
1/26/13 - Plainfield, Quinebaug fish Hatchery - with Bill Asteriades and Rick Macsuga - RING-NECKED DUCK (100ish), WINTER WREN, HERMIT THRUSH, LESSER SCAUP and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET.
1/26/13 - Sterling yard - with Bill Asteriades, Rick Macsuga and John Marshall - PINE SISKIN (30), FOX SPARROW (4), and EASTERN TOWHEE (2).
1/26/13 - Stonington, Stonington Pt. - SURF SCOTER (2) and WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (2)

Robert Dixon
179 Main St.
Sterling, Ct. 06377
860-564-4638 h