[CT Birds] Northern Shrike South Windsor

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 10:05:16 EST 2013

As Dan noted, sharp-eyed Rick Macsuga spotted the shrike in a tree out in the field. We walked in for closer looks and could see it more clearly. After Rick and Bill M. left, Dan and I stayed and watched the shrike hunting in the bushes, using its hovering maneuver.

The bird is grayish brown, white eye ring, faint marks of mask.

Halfway down Vibert Rd is a dirt road that goes into the field. There are trees and bushes there in the middle of the field, and the bird was hunting in that area on both sides of the road.

Thanks to Rick Macsuga for finding the bird and getting the rest of us over to see it, very much appreciated.

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield

Sent from my iPhone